The Office of Institutional Advancement (IA) purposefully works to build a solid foundation in higher education advancement work.
Our mission is to serve Virginia State University through the development, cultivation, solicitation, and engagement of our philanthropic partners who provide financial support which advance the academic and student experience at the University. We strive for Excellence in all that we do and represent, through ethical and professional best practices which engage all VSU stakeholders.
IA key objectives include:
- Ethically and professionally raise philanthropic funds for VSU;
- Provide meaningful engagement of VSU constituents;
- Effectively communicate the accomplishments of VSU to stakeholders, investors, and constituents;
- Support the Five Focus areas of VSU:
- Provide a transformative experience for our students
- Strategically invest in our academic programs
- Embrace our position as a top Land Grant University
- Embrace our role as Virginia’s Opportunity University
- Partner together as a University to tell our story
The Office of Institutional Advancement is comprised of six distinct departments, each with a vital function in carrying out the office’s mission and purpose. They include Advancement Services, Alumni Relations, Annual Giving, Conference Services, Frontline Fundraising, and Marketing & Communications. Together, the office is responsible for all of Virginia State University’s philanthropic fundraising support, which totaled over $3.1 million in gifts from over 2,400 donors during Fiscal Year 2018.