Due to limited resources, student aid is often awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Many of these checklist items have deadline dates by which you will need to complete each item. Check off each Action Item as you complete it. You can get help for many of these Action Items from our Financial Aid Web site. Please help us help you obtain the necessary financial assistance for the "Education of your Life".
Financial Aid Checklist of Critical Dates and Information Needed:
- Step 2 - Submit the Virginia State University (VSU) Application for Financial Assistance. First-time Freshmen are required to complete and submit the VSU Application for Financial Assistance for certification purposes. This form is available in your Orientation Package and/or on our website site.
- Step 3 -Apply for Scholarships-You should apply for as many types of scholarships as possible to assist with your educational cost. Scholarships can be used to replace loans or further reduce your financial obligation to the University.
- Step 4 -Please respond and return all document requests as soon as possible. Please note: all of our forms are available under our "Documents & Forms" Tab.
- Step 5 -Review the Financial Aid Award Notification Package- You will receive a Financial Aid Award Package once the FAFSA analysis has been processed and you have been accepted by VSU. Promptly sign and return your financial aid award letter. Contact the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions about your award.
- Step 6 -Completing Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note for the Federal Direct Student Loans -The Federal Direct Loan is awarded to all students. However, in order for it to be credited to your account and reduce your financial obligation, all first time borrowers must complete the online entrance counseling and promissory note.
- Step 7 - Submit Parent PLUS Loan Application immediately after receiving your award notification package if additional assistance is needed. By completing this pre-approval application, it does not obligate the parent to accept the loan if approved. If denied, the student is automatically awarded additional assistance ranging from $4,000 to $5,000 in an unsubsidized loan.
- Step 8 -Submit award or approval notices for any scholarships, grants, and loans received from sources other than Virginia State University by June 1st (Fall Semester) and November 1st (Spring Semester). Notices submitted after these dates may not be used for registration or validation purposes.
- Step 9 -Review the Billing Statement from the Student Accounting Office - You will receive a Billing Statement during Orientation, and in Early July that will list your charges and Financial Aid Awards that are being used to cover your cost of attendance.
- Step 10 -Notify the Financial Aid Office if you decide not to attend VSU. If you have decided not to attend VSU, please notify us by sending an email to email@example.com.