The appearance of a name on any list in the Commencement program must not be considered as conclusive evidence of graduation. The official transcript of the University, signed and sealed by its proper officers, is the official testimony of the possession of the degree.
Participants must take part in rehearsal on Thursday morning, May 16, 2019, 9:00 A.M. – 11:30 A.M., in the Multipurpose Center. Any candidate unable to attend rehearsal, but planning to participate in the ceremony, must report to a Marshal immediately upon arrival at the MPC Sunday, May 19th, 2019 to be placed correctly in the procession depending on the time of your commencement. Each graduate will be allowed 8 tickets for the ceremony. Overflow seating will be announced if needed. Please bring hoods to rehearsal.
Honor Cords and cards will be available for pick up (same day as rehearsal) Thursday, May 16, 2019 location TBD.
***There will be a celebratory luncheon at the Jones Dining Hall at noon. RSVP REQUIRED***
1. Each school will issue an academic clearance card to the candidate. This card will be used to call the candidate's name. Please preserve the card.
2. All candidates are required to wear caps and gowns.
3. Students in academic attire should wear auxiliary clothing that harmonizes with the black gown:
- dresses of appropriate length
- dark shoes
- dress slacks
- dress shirt
- no jeans
All students must wear professional (business) clothing such as dresses, skirts or slacks. No jeans or tennis shoes may be worn. Please wear low heeled or flat shoes for your safety and comfort.
Refrain from pinning or attaching anything to the cap or gown. Fraternities/Sororities shawls, can be worn with your cap or gown. Corsages, ribbons or scarves are not allowed. Academic regalia should be worn with modest jewelry, no large earrings and bangles.
4. Caps are worn with tips in a horizontal position (not tilted), and tassels on the right side. Hoods are carried on the right arm while marching in the procession.
5. Women keep their caps on throughout the ceremony. Men remove their caps during the Opening; replace them thereafter; remove them again for the Closing, and replace them to remain through the end of the ceremony.
6. Candidates from each school will be presented by their Dean to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs, who will then present them to the President. Immediately following the President's statement, conferring the degrees, the Chief Marshal indicates the hooding ceremony. Candidates will turn to the right to be hooded by the candidates on the left.
7. The President will deliver the charge to the class, followed by the National Alumni President leading the graduates in the Oath of Alliance.
8. After the Commencement ceremony, graduates will be led by the Marshals out of the VSU Multipurpose Center
PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THE LINE OF MARCH UNTIL YOU ARE RELEASED BY THE MARSHAL.
9. No picture taking will be allowed where graduates, faculty, and special guests are seated. No balloons, noisemakers, floral bouquets or large gifts will be allowed in the MPC. Please ask your families to save these items for after the ceremony.