The Virginia State University Police Department is committed to providing quality services to members of the VSU Community.
We believe in providing students, staff, and faculty with educational opportunities to improve personal safety knowledge and practice. This page will provide details regarding our department programs and services. If you have any additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Policing focuses on crime and social disorder through the delivery of police services that allow us to interact with the students in a nontraditional way. Through community policing, we are able to partner with the University community, respond to problems proactively (identify problems and potential problems and through programs and alliances effectively address those issues).
Our Community Policing Programs include:
Bike Patrol – The bike patrol unit patrols the campus on bicycles. This unit is highly visible and has the opportunity to stop and make positive contacts with the campus community.
Foot Patrols – DPPS officers often patrol the campus areas on foot to provide a higher level of visibility and also to make positive interactive contact with the campus community.
Motorcycle Unit – The motorcycle unit consists of two motorcycles that are used to patrol the campus. The motorcycle unit is also used for parades and ceremonies.
Here are eight suggestions for crime prevention when walking:
- Never walk alone or isolate yourself. Always walk with someone else or call for the Security Escort Service.
- Use well-lit, well-traveled routes; walk with confidence and be alert at all times.
- Always have your keys in hand before leaving your car or doorway
- Always lock your doors when alone and never prop exterior doors.
- Report all suspicious persons/incidents to the Police Department.
- If followed while walking, change directions and head toward an emergency call box or a well-lit and populated area.
- If followed while driving, drive to a public place, i.e., a hospital or a police station.
- If approached in a threatening manner, don't panic. Try to remain calm and think. DO NOT take foolish chances.
Virginia State University
21012 Service Road
PO Box 9405
Petersburg, VA 23806
Phone (804) 524-5360
Fax (804) 524-6414