Sending A Text(SMS) Tip
TipSoft SMS is a Text-a-Tip application which allows tipsters to anonymously submit information to our participating law enforcement agencies, schools, universitites and corporations. Many of these agencies are utilizing this application through their Crime Stoppers Program which is an excellent deployment choice, although not required. This secure application allows the tipster and the investigator to have two-way dialog while keeping the tipster's identity comletely anonymous.
Short Message Service (SMS), often called text messaging, is a means of sending short messages to and from mobile phones (and other smart devices).
Steps For Sending Text (SMS) Tip:
- Text "TROJAN (space) plus your message" to 274637 (CRIMES)
- Upon reception of a tipster's first incoming message, the system will auto-reply with a confirmation containing their unique Tip Alias.
- To submit follow-up information, the tipster simply replies. Nothing else is needed.
- All follow-up tips and even your replies from the application are written under the original parent record and shown threaded and date/time stamped in the narrative. The thread may be terminated by the tipster texting STOP into the system at any time or by you manually selecting the "Terminate Thread" button from within the application.To get copies of pamphlets or more information on the lectures call (804) 524-5360 or come by VSU DPPS Headquarters at #1 Jackson Place.
Sending A Web Tip
If you have information on a crime, you can submit your information online anonymously through the TipSoft website. Tips submitted through this website are encrypted, entirely confidential, completely anonymous and are immediately and securely transferred directly to the law enforcement agencies which use our TipSoft - Tip Management application.
Steps for Submitting a Web Tip:
- Go to https://www.tipsubmit.com/webtipsstart.aspx
- Proceed to fill out the secure web tip submission form
- After submitting your tip, you will be provided with your own unique ID number that you will use when checking the status of your tip or picking up your reward. Never submit an emergency tip here. Please call 911 if it is an emergency.
Sending A Mobile Tip
You can also download and use the free mobile “TipSoft” app on your iPhone or Android phone. Just search for "TipSoft" or "TipSubmit" on the Apple App Store or Android Market.
This new application expands on the currently existing methods of phone, web, and SMS Text-a-Tip which the TipSoft application already supports. The advantages of the mobile app over texting are that it offers more functionality than texting, and allows you to auto-locate the nearest agency rather than having to do this manually. The mobile app also lets you include images and video clips with your tips. Using the app, you can have a fully anonymous two-way dialogue and real-time chat with the receiving agency.