Virginia State University, a public, comprehensive 1890 Land Grant institution and historically black college/university, is committed to the preparation of a diverse population of men and women through the advancement of academic programs and services that integrate instruction, research, extension, and outreach. The University endeavors to meet the educational needs of students, graduating lifelong learners who are well equipped to serve their communities as informed citizens, globally competitive leaders, and highly effective, ethical professionals.
Virginia State University will foster sustained excellence as a Preeminent Public Land-Grant university providing access to higher education and a holistic transformative learning experience to produce world-class leaders and scholars for a diverse state, national and the global workforce.
- Student Centered – Promoting the intellectual, physical, social, and emotional development of students in all facets of University life.
- Integrity – Displaying the highest degree of ethical commitment in the pursuit of knowledge.
- Engagement – Developing civically engaged citizens who value all persons and demonstrate the desire to positively impact their immediate surroundings, nation, and world.
- Customer Service – Creating an atmosphere of respect, collegiality, and responsiveness to provide excellent service to our internal and external constituents.
- Excellence – Utilizing a balanced approach to create a high expectation of achievement, awareness, and intellectual development among our students, faculty, and staff.
- Scholarly Research – Conducting scholarly activity is at the forefront of our disciplines and applying translational discoveries and intellectual pursuits to benefit the community.
- Global – Preparing globally aware citizens that respect and appreciate cultural differences of all people through service and the dissemination of knowledge to the world.
- Teaching – Providing learning environments and activities consistent with best educational practices to create a framework where scholarship is intentional, transformational, and deepens understanding in the preparation of future leaders.
- Diversity – Fostering a community that identifies, values, and respects differences of all people by creating an inclusive, culturally responsive and positive experience for students, faculty, staff, and the community.